Every individual seeking for forklift certification, has to understand that the process is of two phases. Though we have been hit by the challenge of the pandemic this year of 2021, the process can still be carried out without a problem since a new method -online service- has been adopted (though it can’t offer practical training). Those looking for the process have to undergo a training in which in the first phase, they have to go through theory training and in the second phase through workplace training. (This is based on the regulations set by OSHA program). All these phases have to close with assessments or evaluations, which affirms that operators must be competent enough to be granted certification. Below is a description of the forklift certication and training process.
As mentioned above, the training is of two phases which include:
- Theory training
Theory training is normally the initial phase in the process (forklift certification).
The training process covers the following topics:
- Principals of load handling
- The capacity and stability of forklifts
- The components, anatomy and the types of equipment used
- The safety principals and general operations
- The general principals governing recharging and refueling of forklifts
When an operator finalizes the initial phase of the training, they have to go through knowledge evaluation and succeed through it. The evaluation is administered through tests, questions or exams. For the online trainers, they provide a high quality training package with knowledge evaluation which is to be done after the course.
- Work place training
The second phase of the training, takes place on the site where the job is being carried out. This phase is typically important because, it is the employer who has to complete it.
In this level of training, trainees familiarize themselves with information that is specific to their work site. They will also learn how to use some specific equipment within their jurisdiction.
Practical training includes:
- Assessing and understanding the specific procedures, policies, operational manual for equipment and guidelines of a company
- Getting familiar with the safety equipment and its specific features
- Carrying our inspections before the actual operations
- Carrying out the shut down and startup of the equipment
- Practicing on how to travel without and with a load
- Getting to know how to use the different ways of handling loads
- Learning about problems associated with a specific workplace and ways of protecting oneself and other coworkers against such hazards
The work place training has to be finalized strictly under the supervision of a trainer who is qualified.
After the completion of practical training for forklifts, the trainee has to go through and succeed in an evaluation (Practical). Almost all the practical evaluations require a trainee to demonstrate proper safety forklift operations while loading and unloading and while operating in places where there are pedestrians. Lowering, stacking, safely raising, destacking loads and handling are also very essential in the process of hands on evaluation and the overall certification process.